/*Google*/ /*Hosting*/ Featured Artist: Emily Wells | SFCritic Music Blog

Wednesday

Featured Artist: Emily Wells



Miri Ben-Ari was supposed to be the next big classical hip hop violinist, too bad Emily Wells is showing her up. Before judging a book by its cover, hip hop and classical music can sound amazing together. After being featured in Spin's "Breaking Out," I Googled her, listened to her music, and my jaw dropped (all in this order). The music sent shivers down my back. Her voice is hauntingly dramatic like Bjork. The track is chilled with layered violin loops, in what can only be described as gangsta hip hop (I'm not claiming she is gangsta, but I definitely could see Andre Nickatina on this track). Unfortunately, there are few HQ recordings of her work. She has an EP out called Dirty, which features this track, "Symphony 1: In the Barrel of a Gun":



If you enjoyed this post, check out these:

Featured Artist: S&M "Losing My Religion"


Featured Artist: Mayer Hawthorne


Featured Artist: Damu The Fudgemunk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin