/*Google*/ /*Hosting*/ How to Become a Music Blogger | SFCritic Music Blog

Wednesday

How to Become a Music Blogger


To be a music blogger don't you just post music on your blog? Yes. So that's it? No. Am I an expert? Are you kidding me? Gorilla vs. Bear or Brooklyn Vegan, are more "experts." What I know is from my short experience, and from my communication with other bloggers. This post is intended to be a forum, not a lecture, so I encourage you to give feedback.

Building an Audience
When I started this blog, I spammed my friends. Really, I had one friend that responded to my feed post asking to unsubscribe. That's the nifty thing about Blogger, you can't. Kind of evil right? I took his name off, but he knew about my blog after that.

If you don't want to spam your friends because you have morals, you need to embed and utilize feed distributors like Feedburner. Make it easy for people to read about your blog in their RSS/Atom feed. Use different mediums to post your contents: Facebook, Twitter, and aggregators (Digg, MOG, etc.).

Creating a Niche
The most important aspect of building an audience is developing a niche. Like mine, the "nonsensical music jargon." Actually, I like to think of my music blog as a resource to discover indie, electronic, and hip hop music. A place to learn about artists through interviews, and reviews.

To the surprise of the average blog reader, there are many different types of music blogs: 1) download blogs 2) gossip blogs 3) indie blogs 4) remix blogs, etc. Choose a format, and a style, and go from there.

Content
Make original content. Come up with stories that interest you, and shamelessly self-promote them like this. There is nothing worse than bloggers who merely cut and paste other bloggers hard written content. Seriously, people do that and by the way that's called plagiarism. Sure the internet is a "free domain," but if you don't link back to the original content provider, you're a $#%^^^#. Cool?

My friends often ask me where I learn about all this music or come up with ideas. I read other blogs, subscribe to music labels' newsletters(an excellent way to be "in the know"), interact with music publicists (this comes later), and most importantly, I'm always searching for new music through friends' recommendations or websites like Allmusic.com or Pandora, where they have suggestions or "similar artists."

Expanding
Decide whether you want to expand your readership. Not every music blogger cares to be the next big blog. I'll admit, I want to be read. If you want to reach a larger audience a lot of is out of your control, but there are ways to encourage growth. Utilizing SEO tools, and interacting with other bloggers is a must. Create unique content, which means writing about what interests you and ignoring what other people are talking about.

Conclusion
Don't become a music blogger because you hope to make money--you won't. If you're a music blogger, you're blogging because you love music and talking about it. I started this because I thought I was annoying all my friends talking about music all the time, and was getting pent up with music blue balls. Bad image, I know, that's why I started blogging. It's time consuming, it's unrewarding ($$), and well, I'm addicted.

2 comments:

  1. The Niche or Angle is important. What separates 'your' music blog from the thousands of others out there.

    And yes...don't get involved if you are not the type of person who loves music. Expect to have to listen to a lot of music, sort through a bunch of crap..until you start building some genuine PR contacts who know what you blog/like.

    I guess...1 tip I could give anyone just starting off.

    Focus on the community. Build a community of readers/listeners. Get in touch with the blogging community through forums such as elbo.ws forums. Read other blogs and most importantly develop a relationship with bloggers, readers, aggregators, artist, label and their management.
    -To be honest you start off having to hit people up via myspace or w/e to send you music..but if you build a good relationship you'll find yoursef overwhelmed each week with music to sort through. Having the content helps everything else fall into place. It gives you something to write about and your readers a reason to come, listen and stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Afflicted Wolf! Good suggestion about the Myspace.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin